Did you know that eco-friendly bedding play a big role in the way you fall asleep, especially when we spend one-third of our lives in bed? Ettitude founder Phoebe Yu came to the realization in 2006 and sought to build a luxury and ethic bedding brand that doesn’t cost an arm and leg while ensuring that all her bedding products are made from 100% Organic Bamboo Lyocell Fabric.
If you’ve always wanted a bed that allows you to sink into absolute comfort (akin to fluffy clouds!) every night, Ettitude’s sustainable bamboo linen bedding sets are one to ShopandBox from Australia. We chat with Yu to find out how she conceived the idea of using bamboo lyocell fabric in her products, along with three reasons eco-friendly bedding is a worthy choice for your bedroom:
1. Tell us more about how and why Ettitude was created.
Phoebe: In 2006, I couldn’t see myself remaining in my old job anymore. I was helping international big retail chain stores sourcing price competitive giftware and homewares in Asia, knowing that those products are part of an unsustainable lifestyle of over-consumption. Most of those products will be used only once or twice during the holiday season and tossed away as they were not designed to last but to make the chain stores the highest profit margin. In addition, they were not made with eco-friendly or biodegradable materials so they will end up in landfills for thousands of years!
So I started to develop my own product line with something that is well-designed, well-made and more sustainable in mind. The idea for Ettitude hit me when I was shopping for bedding for my first home in Melbourne. I was in shopping centres for hours hunting for the perfect sheets and was very frustrated by the fact that the affordable linen was of very low quality, while the more comfortable options were outrageously overpriced. The solution for my frustration: to build a business from scratch offering luxury and ethical bedding essentials at an accessible price and sell online directly to consumers to bypass the bloated supply chain, and expensive designer licensing fees that were passed onto them by traditional retailers.
Ettitude: We see ourselves as a disrupter in the bedding industry as most bedding labels are sold through traditional brick-and-mortar stores. We are also the first in the world to use 100% Organic Bamboo Lyocell Fabric to make bedding. By focusing on using innovative, multi-functional, sustainable bedding materials, we have distinguished our brand from other major bedding brands you find in department stores.
We want to offer high quality bedding at accessible prices for everyone, especially when we spend one third of our lives in bed! We want to simplify the traditional retail model and remove the middlemen. We’re based in a co-working space in Collingwood in Melbourne, and by working directly with suppliers, designing in-house and selling directly to customers online, we are able to remove retail markups and brick-and-mortar expenses to pass these savings onto our consumers with a transparent, honest pricing model. Another huge advantage of our business model is that we are able to respond to the market trends and consumer needs to make production decisions and adjustments quickly.
2. How did the idea behind bamboo lyocell as a textile material come about?
Since we spend one third of our lives in bed, we want to perfect bedding by using innovative, multi-functional and healthy fabric. The main reason we use 100% Organic Bamboo Lyocell is that it is one of the most sustainable resources and no one has done that before!
Lyocell is fabricated in a closed-loop system which water is recycled and reused for up to 200 times. Traditional lyocell is made from wood pulp while ours is made from organic bamboo, which is a self-regenerating, renewable crop that requires minimal water (less than 1/10 of the water cotton needs), labour and zero pesticides, herbicides to grow.
100% Organic Bamboo Lyocell also has a very unique feathery soft and silky smooth texture, it is known as the ‘vegan silk’ as it’s purely plant based. Most bamboo bedding available on the market is made with bamboo rayon/viscose or bamboo & cotton blend, whereas ours is 100% Organic Bamboo Lyocell.
3. What are some of the challenges of running a niche brand that is also eco-friendly?
I would say limited funding. There were also technical issues we had to overcome in the manufacturing our own bamboo lyocell fabric. Sleeping on bamboo is still a relatively new concept to most people so we put a lot of effort in educating and informing customers about this new fabric as well.
4. What is your best-selling item?
The queen size sheet set.
5. What do you think are some of the biggest misconceptions about eco-friendly bedding?
Many people have the assumption that eco-friendly bedding is over-priced and expensive. Some also think that they’re not well made, ‘stylish’ or they just look too hippie. A lot of people have overlooked the health benefits of eco-friendly bedding. Our Organic Bamboo Lyocell bedding is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial.
6. What drives you to run a socially responsible brand such as Ettitude?
As a socially-responsible label, we intend to provide a comfortable sleep experience while holding to high ethical standards. That is why we have chosen to partner with local charities and give back to deserving causes each month.
7. Tips on ensuring that bamboo bedding/sheets will last?
Our bamboo lyocell fabric is very durable and resilient. Just make sure you always wash the sheets separately in cold, gentle cycle with mild detergent, line dry them as heat and high temperature will damage the softness and silkiness of the fabric. Give your bamboo sheets a bit of TLC and they will love you back!
8. What’s next for Ettitude?
We are working on some new colours and patterns to be launched next year. We are also planning to do another pop-up event.
9. Top 3 reasons why you’d recommend Ettitude bedding to a new Shopper?
Firstly, you want to feel like you’re sleeping on clouds with the softest sheets. Our bamboo lyocell bedding is 100% organic, hypoallergenic and free from harmful chemicals, it is perfect for anyone, even newborns. Also, we offer free fabric swatches to all customers you can feel the fabric and see the colours before you buy!
10. What is your go-to trick on getting a good night’s sleep?
Remove tech gadgets from the bedroom—it’s best not to use phones or laptops an hour before bed.
ShopandBox our favourite Ettitude picks below!
1. Ettitude Bamboo Daydream Sheet Set – Feather White, USD140, + Add To Wishlist
2. Ettitude Bamboo Daydream Duvet Cover Set – Cloud Pink, USD130, + Add To Wishlist
3. Ettitude Bamboo Daydream Sheet Set – Earthen Sand, USD140, + Add To Wishlist
4. Ettitude Bamboo Bondi Sheet Set – Blue Nights, USD140, + Add To Wishlist
5. Ettitude Mint Duvet Cover Set, USD150, + Add To Wishlist
6. Ettitude Bamboo Luxe Travel Kit, USD50, + Add To Wishlist
7. Ettitude Mini Black Bamboo & Lily Soy Candle, USD18, + Add To Wishlist
8. Ettitude Cloudland Bamboo Duvet Set, USD160, + Add To Wishlist
Get Started in less than 10 seconds:
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Once you’re ready, simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- You will be assigned a personal Boxer who will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!