Every country has got its well-known must-buy snack or two—Hong Kong has its decadent range of cookies, Japan’s Tokyo Banana and multi varied KitKat flavours are always a hit, and seasonally-flavoured Oreos from the USA practically sell out in a day. When it comes to France, the general consensus is that pâté and foie gras are the go-to food souvenirs convenient enough to carry home. But did you know that the department stores of France hold more than just cans of meat spread?
Specialty foods aren’t hard to find in France, and if you ever get a chance to trawl the sprawling aisles in any grocery store or supermarket there, don’t be surprised to find yourself walking out of the store with a cart full of novelty snacks. But if you aren’t planning a trip to Europe anytime soon, Boxer Dana from France is here to help with 10 French delicacies that you can ShopandBox from the country. Whether you like sweet and savoury confit or olive spreads, there’s something for everyone in this list:
- Albert Ménès Rose Petal Confit, €5.4, + Add To Wishlist:
Regular fruit spreads have nothing on this floral preserve made from Centifolia rose petals. Its harvesting process is fascinating to boot: Hand-harvested at dawn in Grasse in the month of May, the petals are picked carefully and placed in each jar—making it one of our French delicacies to have with bread/scones during breakfast and tea.
- Maille Herb Green Mustard, €8.5, + Add To Wishlist:
This mustard is an unusually delicious combination of herbs and mustard. Recommended to be eaten with salad, sandwiches, and even a plate of linguine with spicy crab.
- Maison Dubernet Gourmet Duck Pâté, €4.6, + Add To Wishlist:
For those who love a jar of pâté specially from France, Maison Dubernet’s range of pâtés and terrines are perfect to pique your tastebuds. Boxer Dana recommends this jar that’s similar to a country-style pâté with chunks of duck confit peppered with notes of tarragon.
- Monopix Gourmet Palmiers, €1.28, + Add To Wishlist:
One of the most well-known pastries that you can find in any French supermarket are palmiers. Made from layers of puff pastry typically rolled in sugar, these are also sometimes called elephant ears, palm leaves, or cœur de France. We call it the most addictive snack you get munch on anytime of the day.
- Roches Blanches Mini Salami, €12.3, + Add To Wishlist:
If you like jerky but want to indulge in cured meats that have more finesse, Roches Blanches is a good brand to get your snack from. With three generations dedicating their time and effort to curing the best dry sausages, Roches Blanches’ signature ‘Norman pork’ sausages have a unique flavour unlike any other.
- Eric Bur Mini Toast-Cereal, €4.45, + Add To Wishlist:
Equivalent to croutons in America, these mini grilled toasts are ideal one-bite crackers to eat with pâté, gourmet cheese, and even with soup/salads.
- Le Niçois Black Olivade, €5.6, + Add To Wishlist:
Another option you can eat with the above-mentioned grilled toasts and even on crackers is olive spread. Made with black olives, capers in vinegar, thyme and Espelette pepper, this paste has herby undernotes that serve as a great condiment and dip for vegetable sticks.
- Monoprix Gourmet Madeleines, €3.08, + Add To Wishlist:
Madeleines originate from the late 17th century in the Lorraine region of France, and is traditionally made in shell shapes from a moulded pan. With a similar texture to sponge cakes, madeleines aren’t the easiest pastries to bake as its texture can get overly dense—it should ideally be “browned and crispy on the outside and spongy and soft on the inside”. This box of eight should save you from tedious baking sessions in the kitchen.
- Palais Des Thés Tea of Delights, €9, + Add To Wishlist:
There’s nothing as comforting as a steaming hot cup of tea. Palais Des Thés’ limited edition Tea of Delights taste like the holidays (seriously), with fragrant notes of citrus peels, candied mandarins, chocolate, and cocoa beans.
- Monoprix Gourmet Milk Chocolate Lace Pancakes, €1.83, + Add To Wishlist:
These decadent crepe like biscuits are similar to gavottes, where super fine crusty layers are rolled up after getting dipped in milk chocolate—a great snack for the foodie with a sweet tooth.
Get Started in less than 10 seconds:
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Once you’re ready, simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- You will be assigned a personal Boxer who will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!