Green is the new black. Sustainability and style happily coexist in this decade as brands cater to the increasingly eco-coconscious consumers. In this style edit, we make the case for why you should stock up on organic basics made from eco-friendly fibres and materials.
Why you should make the switch
We all love a good white tee— it makes you feel comfortable yet confident, and its versatility let’s you effortlessly dress it up or down. But is your favourite t-shirt made from pesticide and insecticide-ridden cotton farming? The Organic Trade Association explains that the production of cotton exposes it to toxic chemicals that is not only harmful for the environment, but can also cause health issues like asthma and skin diseases.
So, clean up your closet— and the earth— by trading your regular old cotton tee for eco-friendly essentials! Sourcing local materials and fabrics such as organic cotton, hemp, linen and bamboo help reduce carbon footprints, use less water, and contain no harsh chemicals. Investing on quality basics that last longer than regular cotton also avoids over consumption, which ultimately decrease waste and the impacts of clothing production to the environment.
We’ve taken a close look at seven awesome brands maintaining a transparent and ethical production line, while delivering luxe wardrobe staples made from organic fibres. No hidden nasties. Just classic, quality pieces that never go out of style.
Keep scrolling to get some fashion inspo and styling tips on how to incorporate organic basics to your wardrobe.
Having a collection of organic basic pieces create a timeless wardrobe that’s easy to style for any season. Take an understated tee, pair it with your favourite heels and a faux leather biker jacket for a cool chick vibe. Or dress it up with a blazer, a pleated midi skirt, and classic black pumps for a day to night outfit.
Pull an off-duty model aesthetic with your fave worn-in tee, layered under a bomber jacket, styled with your equally worn-in jeans. And let’s not forget about luxe loungewear— style joggers with a basic tee, classic pumps, and a statement clutch for a comfy chic outfit.
Guys can get away with the bare minimum. White tee and jeans? Good to go! But a pop of colour can add another dimension to your look and take your outfit on a whole other level.
Dress your white tee up with a sleek and tailored coat, paired with classic leather brogues. Or keep it casual-cool by chucking on your favourite distressed jeans, sunnies, and cardi. And a good pair of sneakers can’t be over looked.
ShopandBox your Organic Basics
Want to start creating positive environmental, social, and personal change while looking chic in the process? Check out seven of the best eco-friendly brands below to ShopandBox your organic basics!
Established in New York, Loomstate’s vision is simple: to make the perfect white t-shirt. And for them the perfect tee is designed with 100% Certified Organic Cotton. These wardrobe staples for men and women are guaranteed to last you through decades, without compromising style or environmental and work ethics.
- Uvee T Womens, Loomstate, USD42, +Add to Wishlist
- Joggers Womens, Loomstate, USD68.75, +Add to Wishlist
- Raglan Sweatshirt, Loomstate, USD115, +Add to Wishlist
- Classic Crew T Mens, Loomstate, USD45, +Add to Wishlist
Komodo is a London-based fashion brand that has been gracing the world with ethically traded, natural and organic fibre fashion since 1988. Their sophisticated basics and versatile designs are perfect for a capsule or minimalist wardrobe.
- Dia Hemp Tee, Komodo, EUR73, +Add to Wishlist
- Guilli Tencel Culotte, Komodo, EUR105, +Add to Wishlist
- Obi Organic Cotton Trousers, Komodo, EUR100, +Add to Wishlist
- Seth Marl Hemp Tee, Komodo, EUR45, +Add to Wishlist
Image Nau Clothing
We love Nau for their muted colour palette, simple yet stylish designs, and environmentally-friendly production process. Birthed in Portland, Oregon, a land for all things progressive, eco-friendly, and some of the best vegan cafes in the US, Nau delivers casual and outdoor fashion with an ethical touch. Their products are made from recycled polyester, organic cotton, and hemp.
- Strie Tank, Nau , USD45, +Add to Wishlist
- S/S Twisted Dress, Nau , USD145, +Add to Wishlist
- S/S Kanab T-Shirt Nau , USD48, +Add to Wishlist
- Stretch Motil Cargo Short, Nau , USD115, +Add to Wishlist
Zady earns two big (green) thumbs up for its seriously chic designs and effortlessly elegant silhouettes. With their HQ in the progressive city of New York, most of Zady’s products are made with 100% organic cotton or an organic fibre blend.
We’re head over heels in love with its Emma Watson inspired collection, which is just as chic, poised, and smart as the young actress/environmental activist.
- Japanese Button Down, Zady, USD135, +Add to Wishlist
- Slate Cotton V-Neck, Zady, USD36, +Add to Wishlist
- Stripped Linen Jersey Shirt, Zady, USD45, +Add to Wishlist
- Linen Sweater, Zady, USD160, +Add to Wishlist
Image Knowledge Cotton Apparel
Hailing from Denmark, it’s no wonder this brand is an expert at clean design and understated aesthetics. Knowledge Cotton Apparel’s inventory is filled with super fly casual menswear pieces manufactured from organic cotton and recycled PolyEthylene Terephthalate polyester (an oil-sourced plastic used to manufacture most plastic bottles).
- Basic Tee with Chest Pocket, Knowledge Cotton Apparel, EUR39.95, +Add to Wishlist
- Small Diamond Knit Rifle Green, Knowledge Cotton Apparel, EUR109.95, +Add to Wishlist
- Chuck the Brain Chino, Knowledge Cotton Apparel, EUR109.95, +Add to Wishlist
- Basic Sweat OSC Total Eclipse, Knowledge Cotton Apparel, EUR79.95, +Add to Wishlist
Image Thought Clothing
This UK-based eco-gem specialises in fuss-free, well-made clothing with 100% natural materials. Thought stocks luxury organic cotton trousers, beautifully-made organic cotton t-shirts, and jackets for men and women.
- Iris Tencel Denim Jeans, Thought, GBP49.9, +Add to Wishlist
- Elisse Long Organic Cotton Cardigan, Thought, GBP59.9, +Add to Wishlist
- Ezra Organic Cotton Jacket, Thought, GBP49.9, +Add to Wishlist
- Olsten Grandad Collar Hemp Shirt, Thought, GBP44.9, +Add to Wishlist
Image Bleed Clothing
Based in Germany, Bleed produces 100% vegan and organic everyday basics that will see you through the ages. Not only do these guys stand by eco-fashion, but they also take anti-animal cruelty pretty seriously, collaborating with Liquid Surf and PETA to help keep the oceans clean and animals happy.
- Pacific Sweater White, Bleed, EUR69.9, +Add to Wishlist
- Structured T-Shirt, Bleed, EUR34.9, +Add to Wishlist
- Structured T-Shirt, Bleed, EUR32.9, +Add to Wishlist
- Moon Dress Ladies Blue, Bleed, EUR39.9, +Add to Wishlist
Featured image via Cottonprint.co.uk
Get started in less than 10 seconds here!
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Once you’re ready, simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- You will be assigned a personal Boxer who will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!