France is more than just a nation of fashion, fine food and arts & culture. While the country is known for its slew of luxury fashion brands, there are a host of burgeoning (and more affordable) local labels worth zeroing in on. Boasting a trend-setting crowd and artisanal know-how, these few bag brands are the best alternative to any five-figure luxury handbag.
If you’re shopping on a budget, try one (or more) of these eight bag brands you can ShopandBox from France:
Want a bag that is quintessentially French and made with quality materials? Explore Polene’s range of bags that won’t make a dent to your wallet. All its bags are crafted from high-quality materials, and made in famous French, Italian and Spanish tanneries that supply to luxury brands. We’re loving the Numero 6 — a chic, wristlet-style bag, along with the L’osier, a wicker basket inspired tote that’s perfect for summer outings.
- Numero 6, Polene, EUR160, + Add To Wishlist
- Numero Uno Mini, Polene, EUR270, + Add To Wishlist
- L’osier, Polene, EUR190, + Add To Wishlist
Aptly named 1951, this small leather goods brand was founded in the same year by the grandfather of current designer, Pierre Yang-Chung. Paying homage to his family workshop, Yang-Chung stays true to his family-backed tradition, standards and quality with 1951’s range of clutches. With 6 silhouettes, 34 colours and 6 different materials to choose from, you’ll never run out of options when it comes to an everyday clutch.
- 20H19 Genuine Leather Clutch, 1951, EUR70, + Add To Wishlist
- 19H44 Genuine Leather Clutch, 1951, EUR95, + Add To Wishlist
- 19H51 Genuine Leather Clutch, 1951, EUR130, + Add To Wishlist
Le Tanneur is one of the oldest bag brands in France, founded in 1898 by leather merchant Mr. Bonnardel who first created the Sans Couture, an origami-inspired wallet that won awards two years after its inception. We love its combination of exceptional quality and French expertise, evident in its crossbody bags, backpack and totes. The brand also has a range of small leather goods that make excellent gifts.
- Agathe Small Crossbody Bag, Le Tanneur, EUR99.95, + Add To Wishlist
- Lea Large Hand Bag, Le Tanneur, EUR379, + Add To Wishlist
- Capucine Backpack, Le Tanneur, EUR350, + Add To Wishlist
Founded in 1988, Sequoia is a well-known bag brand that is recognised for its simplicity and timelessness. Its signature design is the ring, reinterpreted through seasons in unexpected shapes and materials across all lines, and representing a symbol of perpetual renewal. From the scallop-printed S52-220, a patent leather crossbody, to the roomy bucket-shaped S54-064 that’s available in a plethora of colours, there’s a bag for every occasion.
- S52-220, Sequoia Paris, EUR245, + Add To Wishlist
- S53-072, Sequoia Paris, EUR, + Add To Wishlist
- S54-064, Sequoia Paris, EUR195, + Add To Wishlist
You can’t talk about French bag brands without including Sézane to your list. The online-only brand is known for its seriously stylish threads and commendable leather goods section. Founded by Morgane Sézalory in 2013, the label teems a fashion-forward aesthetic with an affordable price range, giving us something to love every season. Our favourite this summer is the Charlie bag, a frayed shoulder bag that will work with languid frocks and the like.
- Charlie Bag, Sezane, EUR75, + Add To Wishlist
- Mini Farrow Bag, Sezane, EUR195, + Add To Wishlist
- Gaby Bag, Sezane, EUR270, + Add To Wishlist
What makes Lipault stand out is its range of travel-ready suitcases and backpacks. Available in a vivid colour palette (11 colours altogether), its nylon luggage bags are lightweight and stylish, making traveling easy breezy for any fashionista. If you’re looking for a laptop/business bag that’s formal yet fashionable, opt for its business range that also comes in a plethora colours.
- By the Seine Lemon Yellow Backpack, Lipault, EUR229, + Add To Wishlist
- Marine Blue Business Pilot Case, Lipault, EUR189, + Add To Wishlist
- Plume Elegance Cognac Handbag, Lipault, EUR169, + Add To Wishlist
Ateliers Auguste is made for the well-groomed man who doesn’t compromise on style. Its bags are timeless, functional and waterproof, entirely made in Europe — the full grain leather is tanned in Belgium, while its waxed cotton parts are made in Britain. Founders Laurent and Xavier intended to create a brand that would fit their personal style and values, hence the conception of the label. On our must-own list is the Verneuil Laptop Sleeve — not your average laptop sleeve, Sevigne Tote Bag that’s great for traveling, and Suffren Briefcase for the office.
- Verneuil Laptop Sleeve, Ateliers Auguste, EUR125, + Add To Wishlist
- Sevigne Tote Bag, Ateliers Auguste, EUR412, + Add To Wishlist
- Suffren Briefcase, Ateliers Auguste, EUR412, + Add To Wishlist
Louvreuse’s bags are designed in Paris and hand0-crafted in Choletais, a region well-known for its longstanding traditional tannery and leather works industry. What makes the brand stand out is the inspiration — stemmed from art history’s greatest masterpieces. Spot Delacroix’s red, Arman’s silver, Klimt’s gold, Dali’s beige, and more tributes to famous painters. The Eugene Bauhaus is likely a homage to Dutch painter Piet Mondrian, with its iconic primary colour blocks and graphic lines.
- Kandi x La Seine & Moi, Louvreuse, EUR400, + Add To Wishlist
- Cleo Black & Silver, Louvreuse, EUR400, + Add To Wishlist
- Eugene Bauhaus, Louvreuse, EUR290, + Add To Wishlist
Get started in less than 10 seconds here!
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- A personal Boxer will be assigned to you and will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!
Featured image: Louvreuse