It’s an understatement that the Japanese take their craft seriously. Even with a mere household essential such as towels, they take meticulous effort and care in ensuring they are the best towels you can get your hands on. These Imabari towels are named after the town it is manufactured in with a history dating back to more than 120 years. About 60 percent of towels in Japan are made in the city—you can even find an Imabari museum on siad towels!
But what makes Imabari towels so popular and cherished is all thanks to its uncompromising quality. The techniques behind creating it is generations-old, and these towels are so popular that it’s been exhibited in fairs across the globe. Only soft water sourced from the mountains is used to make the towels, as it has a much lower content of minerals and heavy metals. This will result is its soft absorbent finish with an extra white colour (as the water is pristine enough) sans the need to bleach. One good way to tell how absorbent your towel is is by placing it in water. According to Imabari, a good towel will sink into the water within a mere five seconds.
Whether you plan to revamp your towel stash in your household or intend to gift a friend or family member, ShopandBox our top brands from Japan:
Founded in 1934, Kontex is one of Imabari’s popular textile companies. It only uses traditional machines to weave yarn in order to preserve its delicate texture and properties—something that a modern machine is unable to do. Hence, the unbelievably soft finish that’s unique to boot.
- Claire Imabari Towel, Kontex, JPY1,296, + Add To Wishlist
- Fill Imabari Face Towel, Kontex, JPY1,296, + Add To Wishlist
- Handkerchief Collection, Kontex, JPY864, + Add To Wishlist
Iori is a specialty towel store that’s based in Ehime Prefecture in Japan. It has a wide range of Imabari towels in various materials and colours, from jacquard weave to organic cotton. Take your pick from gauze-pile towels dyed with eco-friendly natural plant and fruit extracts, or double-layered herringbone towels tailor made for hot/humid weather.
- Imabari Garden Towel, Iori, JPY864, + Add To Wishlist
- Hikari Towel, Iori, JPY32,400, + Add To Wishlist
- Umi Towel, Iori, JPY756, + Add To Wishlist
Ikeuchi Organic prides itself on its “Life Fabrics”—organic, raw materials that are cultivated and managed carefully. A few of its standout fabrics are the Organic 332 Gauze that is two-sided (gauze and organic cotton) for high absorbency and bamboo rayon that boasts an uncanny, luxurious finish as silk.
- Organic Baby Gift Set, Ikeuchi, JPY6,150, + Add To Wishlist
- Mottainai × Hello Kitty Bath Towel, Ikeuchi, JPY3,800, + Add To Wishlist
- Organic 332 Gauze Sports Towel, Ikeuchi, JPY3,000, + Add To Wishlist
Get started in less than 10 seconds here!
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- A personal Boxer will be assigned to you and will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!