A black dress can take your wardrobe to new heights, especially when it comes in a silhouette that’s chic enough to be worn for day to night. The key to making it work is to opt for one that’s form flattering and timeless — think languid, fluid dresses in comfortable yet not overly casual fabrics. The beauty about a black dress as such is that you don’t have to bring a multitude of different versions while traveling. After all, one chic piece can take you from brunch with the girlfriends to a romantic date night with your better half.
Below, we rounded 10 black dresses that any minimalist fashion lover would love. The fewer frills, ruffles and embellishments, the better. ShopandBox our top picks below:
1. Japanese GoWeave Tank Wrap, Everlane, USD100, + Add To Wishlist: Everlane’s iconic wrap dress comes in a wrinkle-resistant Japanese GoWeave fabric that drapes on any figure wonderfully. We love the easy V neckline and below-knee length that makes it a closet staple.
2. Chinese Silk V-neck Slip Dress, Grana, USD119, + Add To Wishlist: As far as LBDs go, the silk slip dress is quintessential in any wardrobe. Billowy, flattering yet versatile, this 100% silk dress from Grana checks all the boxes in our books.
3. Hudson Dress, Cienne, USD570, + Add To Wishlist: Cienne’s Hudson dress comes with a slightly steeper price tag but is worth every penny. There’s a center-front slit at the hem, and it can be worn with or without the sash belt. Wear it on its own or layer it over a pair of palazzo pants for an elegant twist.
4. Frances Dress, Lacausa, USD187, + Add To Wishlist: Lacausa’s dress is made from rayon and linen — perfect for the summer months, and is completely made in Los Angeles. Pair this with your favourite mules or heels depending on the occasion.
5. Pleated Crepe Dress, Arket, EUR89, + Add To Wishlist: Who says you can’t wear black to a summer party hasn’t seen this stunning pleated crepe piece from H&M’s latest brand, Arket. We can’t decide if we love the pleated skirt or fluted hemline more.
6. Baja Dress Silk Noil, Ozma, USD195, + Add To Wishlist: Ozma’s slim/straight-fit dress is what we’d envision wearing on days out by the beach or even to a special event. Made from 100% silk, the dress was designed and made entirely in California.
7. Lisa Dress, Toit Volant, USD198, + Add To Wishlist: Indie dressmaker and designer of Toit Volant Alnea Farahbella knows how to make us swoon with this one-of-a-kind dress. Wear this asymmetrical dress on its own for nights out, or layer in with a white button-up shirt for a sophisticated look.
8. Dress 1382, Oak and Fort, USD52.8, + Add To Wishlist: For the cooler weather, pull off this unique dress from Oak and Fort that features the cutest tied cuffs on the wide sleeves. The bottom hem sports a cotton shirt-like peplum for a two-piece look.
9. Signature Kimono Dress, 7115 NY, USD218, + Add To Wishlist: If you can’t decide on one dress, take on this Signature Kimono Dress from indie label 7115 NY. Crafted in a lightweight linen-rayon fabric, it’s great for all seasons and can be worn in four ways for all body types and heights. Moms-to-be who are looking for figure-flattering dresses for their bump can also opt for this versatile piece.
10. Splash Shirt, Hope, EUR187, + Add To Wishlist: Shirt-dresses are one of our favourites thanks to its formal countenance. Wear it with pretty flats or heels and you’ve got a dressy ensemble, but pair it with sandals and sneakers — you’re ready to take on the weekend.
Get started in less than 10 seconds here!
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- A personal Boxer will be assigned to you and will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!