It’s that time of the year again — when red lanterns go up and everyone’s snapping up on crimson-hued ensembles for the most exciting occasion in the lunar calendar: Chinese New Year. This year, we’ve compiled a list of drool-worthy snacks that you can indulge in — both the traditional version and a modern spin to it:
1. Pineapple tarts
This delectable cookie is your best bet to losing track of your diet—but for good reason. Buttery pastries filled with sweet pineapple jam filling? It doesn’t get any better than this. Pineapple tarts are a popular snack choice during CNY, and if you’re a fan of these sweet morsels, ShopandBox salted egg versions from Yolklo and good ol’ fashioned ones from Bengawan Solo—both great choices for personal indulgence and for gifts.
But if you’re looking for a contemporary spin to this local snack, try Amazin’ Graze’s pineapple granola—made of crunchy granola clusters coated in spiced pineapple puree, tossed with melon seeds and sliced almonds for an added crunch. Sprinkle them in your breakfast parfait or eat it alone as a snack. Our other option is Kele’s rose-flavoured pineapple tarts for a unique floral experience.
- Salted Egg Pineapple Tarts, Yolklo, SGD26.9, + Add To Wishlist
- Pineapple Tarts – Regular, Bengawan Solo, SGD20.8, + Add To Wishlist
- Golden Pineapple Granola, Amazin’ Graze, MYR23.8, + Add To Wishlist
- Rose Pineapple Tarts, Kele, SGD29.8, + Add To Wishlist
2. Bak kwa (pork jerky)
Bak kwa is basically a savoury-sweet dried meat that bears resemblance (in taste and appearance) to jerky. Traditionally made of pork, bak kwa is savoured in Singapore and Malaysia, and is a popular snack to be eaten and gifted during CNY. If your bak kwa cravings are usually satiated by the likes of Bee Cheng Hiang—you’re on the right track. We love the Mini EZ Pork Jerky that’s individually vacuum-packed as you can even bring it along while you travel.
But for daredevils and adventurous foodies, try the Smokey Bakwa Cookie by Old Seng Choong. It harbours the roasted flavour of bak kwa but with a smokey tinge by way of sweet BBQ sauce, garlic and coriander.
- Mini EZ Pork Jerky, Bee Cheng Hiang, SGD20.4, + Add To Wishlist
- Smokey Bakwa Cookie, Old Seng Choong, SGD16.83, + Add To Wishlist
3. Shrimp rolls
Another must-have during CNY is dried shrimp rolls—also known as ‘hae bi hiam‘ in Singapore and Malaysia. These fun-sized, deep-fried rolls are stuffed with spicy dried shrimp filling, making it easy to pop in the mouth. We like Provisions Food’s crunchy chilli shrimp rolls, but Cedele’s new-age almond ikan bilis cookies are a whole new level if you’d like to up your palate game.
- Chilli Shrimp Rolls, Provisions Food, SGD16, + Add To Wishlist
- Almond Ikan Bilis, Cedele, SGD20.8, + Add To Wishlist
4. Arrowroot chips
If you thought your regular crinkled potato chips are hard to give up on, one taste of arrowroot chips and you’d be down the same route. This CNY snack is a regular every year, and 10x harder to put down because of its crunchy texture and slight tinge of sweetness. Red Mart is offering arrowroot chips for old-school snackheads, while Antoinette is adding a fusion twist to its chips with mala flavouring—made with crisp potato chips tossed in seven types of chillies and Sichuan peppercorn.
- Arrowroot Chips, Red Mart, SGD7.95, + Add To Wishlist
- Mala Chips, Antoinette, SGD15, + Add To Wishlist
5. Love letters
Love letters are also called ‘kuih belanda‘, known for its light, crunchy texture. Originated from the Dutch or Portuguese, these amazing golden crepes are the best when the egg flavour comes through as it melts in your mouth. Score Wang Lye’s traditional love letters, or Bakers Well’s version that’s stuffed with chicken floss for a savoury kick.
- Love Letters, Wang Lye, SGD5.15, + Add To Wishlist
- Chicken Floss Love Letter, Bakers Well, SGD26.6, + Add To Wishlist
Get started in less than 10 seconds here!
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- A personal Boxer will be assigned to you and will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!