Find it difficult to doze off to sleep at night? If sleeping apps and aids can’t seem to help you catch your zzz’s, try a white noise machine to lull you to a serene state of sleep. Our brand spotlight today is on SNOOZ, the brand behind an ingenious white noise machine. What sets this little creation apart from the other white noise machines out there is the mechanics within. We had a quick chat with co-founder Matt Snyder on the conception of this white noise machine along with what are some of his tips to getting a good night’s sleep:
1. What made you two decide to create SNOOZ?
A few years back, Eli and I noticed family members using fans to help their kids stay asleep. They’d point fans at the wall because they were for the sound, not the air movement. The engineer in Eli was struck by the product-use disconnect and knew there had to be a better way with regard to sound, size, and energy consumption. After a baptism in 3D printing, we started developing prototypes which were so good that our friends refused to return them! That’s when we knew we were onto something.
2. What is the key difference between SNOOZ and other white noise machines?
The key difference is that SNOOZ uses a fan to generate sound, not a speaker. There are no looping tracks, and no trying to sound like a fan. You don’t have to wonder if SNOOZ sounds real — because it is real.
3. As it has a real fan inside, will SNOOZ’s parts require upgrading or maintenance?
No maintenance or cleaning is required. We use high-end, brush-less DC motors that are rated to last for years. Additionally, almost all of the air movement occurs within SNOOZ’s acoustic enclosure so there’s no significant accumulation of dust that needs to be cleaned.
4. What is next for the brand? Will there be other sleep aid devices down the pipeline?
We’re thrilled about the response we’ve had on SNOOZ and we’re currently heads-down focused on finding ways to bring it to a wider market.
5. What are some of most common misconceptions about sleep deprivation and white noise machines?
The most common misconception is probably around sound masking and cancellation. No noise-making device is actively canceling out a containment noise (i.e. producing an inverse sound wave). Rather, it’s covering some noises by its volume of sound and is reducing the magnitude of the impact of other noises. By elevating the baseline level of sound in a room, SNOOZ reduces the delta between the baseline sound level and the contaminant noise.
6. How does SNOOZ help in sleep quality, instead of just quantity?
For one, SNOOZ can help serve as a “zeitgeber” (an environmental cue that may help train sleep rhythm). Additionally, there is evidence to suggest that sleep disturbances, which SNOOZ aims to reduce, may have a negative effect on health. For example, in a study completed by the University of Chicago Medical School and documented on the TV news program, “60 Minutes”, a healthy adult was allowed to sleep a full eight hours every night, but a sound disturbance was intermittently played to disrupt his deep sleep cycle. Within two weeks, he was in a pre-diabetic state.
7. What are some of your go-to tips to getting a well-rested sleep?
Keep your room cool and dark, stick to a routine (even on the weekends), and don’t watch TV in the bedroom. Also, as you might imagine, we’re also big believers in using a SNOOZ and packing one for when you’re on the road.
8. Does SNOOZ work on babies?
Studies have shown that white noise is effective at helping babies fall asleep. However, special attention needs to be paid to protecting little one’s ears. A 2014 study by the University of Toronto (covered by The New York Times) looked at 14 popular infant sleep machines and found that all of them were capable of producing sound levels that exceeded the limits set for hospital nurseries. Inspired by this, SNOOZ is the first white noise machine to be accompanied by an app-based nursery calibration feature to help protect children’s ears.
More ideas on how to get a good night’s sleep here.
Get started in less than 10 seconds!
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- A personal Boxer will be assigned to you and will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!