In our brand highlight this week, we’re directing the spotlight to all-natural beauty line Beneath Your Mask from the USA. Before its inception, founder Dana Jackson had a harrowing encounter with lupus that came without warning. After failing to find non-toxic beauty products that were safe for her, she decided to take things to her own hands. She sought to create products that were safe, non-irritating, and non-toxic for the skin to absorb and that would not challenge the immune system.
And voila — Beneath Your Mask was born! Expect luxe, all-natural skinfood packed with active (and potent) ingredients sourced from 25 countries, all botanicals. It’s important to note that each product has between 11-18 ingredients so you don’t need five different products to get all the benefits. Hand-crafted in small batches, the formulations are also highly-concentrated to boot.
We had a chat with Dana on what her brand entails and some major beauty takeaways that she has learned from her journey:
1. What is your top-selling product?
Heal Whipped Skin Soufflé.
2. What would you recommend a first time Beneath Your Mask user?
Our Nourish Skin & Hair Serum. It’s our send highest selling product and is such an amazing multi-tasker for skin & hair as it can be used as a face serum, scar treatment, used directly on rashes or dermatitis or as hair serum, pre- and post heat treatment, edge and scalp treatment or mixed with your favourite deep conditioner for an extra nourishing, deep conditioning treatment.
3. What is the biggest lesson you’ve learnt throughout your beauty journey?
I never treated my skin like an organ prior to being diagnosed with lupus. The fact that my body’s largest organ was absorbing everything I put on it was foreign to me. Also, it’s important to pay attention to the ingredients and not just trust the branding behind it. There are lots of brands out there that are marketed as all natural, but the ingredients are very toxic.
4. What is your daily beauty routine like?
I’m all about head-to-toe beauty, I don’t just take care of my face. After I shower, I cleanse and tone my skin with a very mild cleanser by Hylunia. I apply Nourish Skin & Hair Serum to my face, and Heal Whipped Skin Soufflé to my body. If I’m running out the house fast, I’ll apply our Indulge Total Body Elixir because it absorbs into the skin much faster. My beauty routine is just a few steps — I don’t believe you need 10 products (especially with natural beauty) because the ingredients work everywhere.
5. How do you pamper yourself after a long day?
I love a good detox bath with dead sea salt, Epsom salt, MSM crystals, bentonite clay and a few drops of our Indulge Total Body Elixir.
6. What were some of the challenges in creating a beauty brand that is safe, non-irritating, and non-toxic for the skin and immune system?
There are so many amazing, effective botanical ingredients, so my biggest challenge was restricting myself because you really want to use all of them. Also, finding natural ways to preserve the product (as most preservatives are toxic) can be a challenge as well.
7. What are some of the misconceptions you’ve heard about beauty products that are organic and vegan; and how would you rectify it?
There’s a perception that they aren’t as effective and they can’t be luxurious. We combatted that with using super potent ingredients. Our ingredient sourcing is one of the reasons our products are so effective. Ingredients are sourced only from the country they’re naturally grown in and in unrefined, unfiltered versions so they retain their therapeutic qualities. Additionally, it was so important to me that our packaging be luxe and beautiful to combat the idea that organic and natural beauty cannot be luxurious and sexy.
8. What are some of the natural, botanical blends or ingredients you’ve been loving as of late, and why?
I always love lavender, the scent is so calming and beautiful. We use lavender in our entire collection. All lavender is not created equal though. I also love Prickly Pear Seed and Chia Seed Oil as of late, and I’m working them into an upcoming formula!
9. You mentioned in an interview previously that had you manage your stress better, the lupus would not have manifested — what de-stressing advice can you give to those who have fast-paced and high-stress lifestyles?
This is something that I continue to struggle with, because it’s always been difficult for me to find balance. If you’re like me, and you go hard at whatever it is you’re doing, then I’d say you have to force yourself to slow down and take care of you. The last thing you want it your body forcing you to slow down or getting to the point where it’s not an option.
Be pro-active in your health and wellness. Yoga and pilates helped me a lot! Especially, if I’ve already booked a class that I can’t cancel at the last minute. That 45 minutes to an hour of doing something for myself makes a world of difference.
Also, taking time to soak in the tub with candles and a bath oil or doing a face mask. It’s finding 20 minutes to an hour whenever you can. It makes a huge difference! And my all time favourite thing is getting a Thai massage. Not only are they detoxing to the lymphatic system, a good Thai massage will work out all the kinks in your body. They were actually a part of my protocol when I was recovering in LA.
10. What exciting new products can we look forward to?
A facial cleanser and toner will be our next products. I don’t have plans to go makeup at this time.
ShopandBox Beneath Your Mask here!
- Whipped Skin Souffle, Beneath Your Mask, USD80, + Add To Wishlist
- Detoxifying Body Scrub, Beneath Your Mask, USD70, + Add To Wishlist
- Total Body Elixir, Beneath Your Mask, USD90, + Add To Wishlist
Get started in less than 10 seconds here!
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- A personal Boxer will be assigned to you and will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!