For a handful of us who find airplanes and hotels our second homes due to work and commitments, travelling can sometimes be a pain if we can’t quite find the right type of essentials to pack along, or even to wear while commuting. We all know how it feels like to lug along baggage stuffed with unnecessary items that you probably wouldn’t wear during the course of your entire trip (like that pair of five-inch stilettos/chukkas that took up space in your suitcase for no reason at all).
But we always believe that basics are the most fundamental clothing items to bring along for a trip, especially during long-haul flights. So why not invest in luxury essentials that could last you a long period of time, and eschew fashion for form and functionality?
That go-to ratty tee of yours could be replaced with a slouchy yet chic alternative that won’t go out of shape after a few washes, and a classic staple that never goes out of style has got to be a pair of denim jeans or even a pair of fitted (but not overly so) slacks that could double as an in-flight must-have or a complementing bottom to a white shirt.
Here are a handful of luxury basics from sweaters to tees that we believe all frequent travellers (both men and women) should consider splurging on, because timelessness never goes out of style:
1. James Perse Casual T Shirt, USD60, + Add To Wishlist: It goes without saying that a white tee can take you to places. Throw this lightweight scoop-neck 100% cotton t-shirt with jeans before you go to the airport, or pair it with a leather skirt for an evening out. James Perse is known as the go-to brand for many fashionistas and their slightly higher-price tag is well justified with their huge range of luxury basics that can be dressed down or up.
2. Helmut Lang Belted Knit Cardigan, USD495, + Add To Wishlist: When it comes to cardigans, go for a more fluid/looser silhouette instead of the usual fitted versions. This belted cardi from Helmut Lang combines a textured Italian pique with Japanese flair with a dramatic kimono silhouette.
3. Grana Silk Cashmere Oversized Turtleneck, USD89, + Add To Wishlist: Those going off for a fall/winter holiday should invest in cashmere knitwear that can be layered effortlessly. This Grana silk cashmere turtleneck is made from Chinese silk and Mongolian cashmere, altogether a lightweight, breathable and strong material that’s easy to wear.
4. Rag & Bone Abby Dress, USD395, + Add To Wishlist: On lazy days that you don’t feel like dressing up but still need to look presentable, go for a shift dress that has a drape panel detail and easy fit like this Rag & Bone pick we love.
5. Jil Sander Shirt, EUR410, + Add To Wishlist: A regular white shirt is an important piece to have that you can wear on casual or formal occasions, and this Jil Sander shirt has got a lovely tiered ruffle detailing on the hemline that adds an element of unpredictability to your look.
6. Boulezar City Lights Trousers, EUR329, + Add To Wishlist: You really can’t beat a pair of comfy trousers made from 100% cotton like this pair from German label Boulezar. That silk trimming and elastic waistband? Perfect for day-t0-night transitions!
1. Eric Bompard Fitted Crew Neck Pullover, EUR204.17, + Add To Wishlist: Welcoming the cooler weather as you travel across the globe? Layer effortlessly with this 2-ply 100% cashmere crew neck pullover from iconic French brand Eric Bompard.
2. Paul Smith Men’s Grey Marl Organic Loopback-Cotton Hoodie, GBP100, + Add To Wishlist: Luxury basics don’t mean that you can pack along a cotton hoodie. We always make a case for this classic sportswear piece, and this 100% organic Paul Smith hoodie checks all the right boxes in our books for its subtle details (that tonal drawstring and dual-entry front pouch pocket, for instance.)
3. Comme des Garçons Basic Tee, USD48, + Add To Wishlist: Again, the white tee is one you can wear to ensure you get comfortable in the plane, so invest in this basic white one by iconic Japanese label Comme des Garçons that comes with a ribbed neck and a regular fit.
4. Lemaire V-Neck Poplin Shirt, EUR280, + Add To Wishlist: It’s all in the details with this poplin shirt by French minimalist label Lemaire—that V-neck collar is an unpredictable touch, while a back pleat and Mother-of-pearl buttons give it a polished veneer.
5. Margaret Howell MHL Patch Pocket Twill Trousers, GBP195, + Add To Wishlist: Those who prefer a loose cut pair of trousers can go for this stylish indigo pair from Margaret Howell that could be worn smartly with a sweater or casually with a t shirt.
6. The Flat Head Tapered Straight Men’s Denim 3009, JPY32000, + Add To Wishlist: We all know the best denim hails from Japan, especially selvedge ones. And if there’s one pair of denim jeans to invest in for the long run, it’s Flat Head’s best-selling 3009 – a straight leg fit that has a medium-low rise and a slight taper below the knee. It actually is known for its intense fading properties which includes a nice vertical fade, meaning it ages and still looks impeccable.
Get Started in less than 10 seconds:
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Once you’re ready, simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- You will be assigned a personal Boxer who will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!