For some of us who have sensitive skin that isn’t suited for regular beauty products in the market, it can be a tedious task to look for something that’s organic, all-natural, and not chemical laden with ingredients you probably can’t pronounce.
For Seattle-based couple Julia Wills and Alexander Kummerow, it was their combined dilemmas (he’s got sensitive skin; she couldn’t find anything that wasn’t natural or chemical-free in the market) that paved their way to founding an organic skincare brand that offers safe, non-toxic, and plant-based products made from food-grade active ingredients that aren’t synthetic/artificial. Five years later, Herbivore Botanicals’ best-selling Lapis Face Oil is touted as the new skincare must-have by Vogue, Allure, and StyleCaster.
If you’re looking to revamp your holistic beauty ritual by going with all-natural, preservative-free skincare that nourishes your skin without causing side effects or allergies, Herbivore Botanicals is one to ShopandBox from the USA. We had a tête-à-tête with founders Julia and Alex on their inspiration, beauty advice and best-sellers you ought to get your hands on.
1. How did Herbivore Botanicals start out?
Having recently finished an education in holistic health, Julia was determined to create a gentle and naturally nourishing soap to ease Alex’s easily irritated skin. Discovering an intuitive knack for formulating, she quickly impressed not only her husband, but also her friends and family with a wide assortment of natural remedies that went way beyond a cleansing bar.
2. What is it that sets the brand apart from other natural skincare brands in the market?
Active ingredients and diverse solutions. All of our products are made with ethically sourced and well researched active ingredients that work with and not against your body’s natural chemistry to balance irregularities and directly benefit your skin’s overall health. In embracing nature’s incredible wealth of remedies to create treatments which benefit the entire spectrum of skin types we hope to set the bar for result-driven natural wellness.
3. Top three bestsellers that customers love to get?
4. Tell us more about the Lapis Facial Oil and how you come across Blue Tansy as an ingredient for the product?
Our search for an oil balancing moisturizer lead us to the unparalleled reparative powers of Blue Tansy Essential Oil. Besides both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, it also contains Azulene which naturally provides the brilliant blue coloring. We knew blending this complexion-improving superstar with highly concentrated moisturising oils such as Coconut and KuKui would result in the perfect resurfacing and preventative treatment for acne and breakout prone skin. Lapis also helps your skin retain hydration and maintain optimum oil levels so you can kiss unwanted outbreaks, redness, dark circles, and inflammation goodbye.
5. Most important beauty advice you can give for our Shoppers?
Like many things in life, patience makes all the difference! No two people’s skin is the same so it takes time and a bit of trial and error to find your ideal skin care regime. Since many of us have both dry patches and some oily areas it’s important to remember that combining products made for different skin types will often achieve the best results.
6. What are you constantly inspired by?
The natural world. Mother Nature has something for everyone and everything! Ancient cultures have been utilizing her wealth of resources for centuries and we are not doing ourselves any favours by looking the other way now.
7. What are some of the challenges of running an all-natural skincare brand that only uses food-grade organic ingredients?
Good question! Sourcing such ingredients can certainly be tricky. We spend a lot of time researching the ethical availability and sustainability of our ingredients. Not to mention ensuring the highest quality of each one in order create the most effective products. Natural ingredients can be quite sensitive and reactionary with even the slightest change in quantity or ratio so adjusting batch size and formulation can also be lots of fun! Luckily, the process always leads to a wealth of amazing information and becomes an invaluable learning process.
8. Any exciting new products in the works or any plans for expansion?
We are about to make sleeping even better for your skin. Keep your eye on the night sky!
9. Your favourite saying?
We love the word “sensorial” as skin care should fully engage your senses for tangible and result-driven luxury.
10. Last but not least, your favourite café in Seattle?
Joe Bar Coffee and Tea on Capitol Hill – think secret garden for sipping!
ShopandBox our favourite Herbivore Botanicals picks below!
- Rose Hibiscus Hydrating Hair Mist, USD12, + Add To Wishlist
- Pink Clay Cleansing Bar Soap, USD12, + Add To Wishlist
- Coco Rose Lip Collection, USD49, + Add To Wishlist
- Blue Tansy AHA + BHA Resurfacing Clarity Mask, USD48, + Add To Wishlist
- Lapis Facial Oil, USD72, + Add To Wishlist
Get Started in less than 10 seconds
- Simply click on the ”Add To Wishlist” links above!
- This will automatically add the items into your ShopandBox wishlist after it prompts you to sign in/sign up.
- You can add as many items as you want into your wishlist (even items not mentioned above).
- Once you’re ready, simply select the items you want bought, name your order, and hit the “Submit Order” button.
- You will be assigned a personal Boxer who will help you buy all your coveted items.
- Your box of goodies gets shipped to your door in 1 – 3 days wherever you are in the world!